Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Welcome to Spacebase 01

Spacebase 01 is a project I've had in the back of my mind for a while, but because of other comic projects I was working on, that's pretty much where it stayed. I was making notes, doing character sketches, gathering research material and photo reference, waiting for a good time to get SB01 rolling.

Finally, in October of 2010, during 24 Hour Comic Day, I put pencil to paper and started the story of Captain Abner "Snap" Carter and Spacebase 01. SB01 also has the distinction of being the first comic I ever completed in under 24 hours (23 hours, 9 minutes, if I remember correctly). I quickly assembled and printed a few dozen copies and debuted SB01 at PIX, the Pittsburgh Independent Comics Expo, a couple weeks later. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to draw a cover for the first issue myself, so I enlisted friend and fellow indie comic creator Shawn Atkins to help me out. Knowing Shawn's work on Gello Apocalypse and Explorers of the Unknown, I knew he'd come up with something great and naturally he didn't disappoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment